I hope that everyone is having a great Monday. Last week, I was out for most of the week and Mrs. Couch took over for those days. The students had a good week and enjoyed learning with Mrs. Couch and Mrs. Isham. This coming week, I will be out for doctor appointments (I am very sorry but the offices are only open during school hours) on Tuesday. A dear teaching friend, is going to come in and teach. She has been instructing in Thinking Maps and Write From the Beginning from before I even knew her. She is just as passionate about the writing program so I am honored to have your child learn from her. Also, this is the second week of the Simis "Caring is Super" Fall Fundraiser! The Superhero Photo Booth will be open for students before school and during lunch recess. Students pay $2.00 for 3 poses. A green flyer went home with your child on Friday with additional information. We will also be taking a class photo at the photo booth on Monday morning at 9am. I believe the photo booth has props for students to pose with; students will NOT be wearing costumes to school. If you have any questions please email me.
Continue reading below to find out what else we will be learning next week!
Learning Outcomes - What is my child learning this week?
- ELA: This week, students will be reading folktales and identifying the theme or central message of the text. The focus question for Wonders Unit 2, Week 1 is, "Why is working together a good way to solve a problem?" To make this skill more transdisciplinary, in social studies, students will be reading and analyzing the theme/message of Greek myths.
- Comprehension Strategy: Make Predictions
- Comprehension Skill: Theme
- Thinking Map: Tree Map
- Grammar: Kinds of Nouns
- Writing: Narrative
- Spelling: Months, Days, and Titles
- Math: This week, students will begin a unit on multiplication. Students will practice different strategies for solving equations, including: showing "groups of," skip counting, arrays, and repeated addition. Students will also solve word problems involving multiplication situations. Our end of the year goal is for students to have their times 0-12 facts memorized. A great place to get flashcards is Dollar Tree or you can try online flashcards or Xtramath.org at home for 10 to 15 minutes a night.
- Social Studies: Students will be creating a summative project to reflect what they learned about their own family's culture. Your child will use the answers from their "My Family's Culture" interview to create a unique project that represents different aspects of culture and traditions that are important to them.
- Science: Students will be determining the hardness of given rocks and reading more into earth materials.
Important Dates Coming Up:
Mon, Sept 17 - Fall Fundraiser Last day to order bracelets.
Mon, Sept 17 - Fri, Sept 21 - Caring is Super Photo Booth
Wed, Sept 19 - TCT Early Release 1 p.m.
Thurs, Sept 20 - Spirit Wear estimated delivery