This week, your child will have a guest teacher on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. I will be at a Write From the Beginning Training. This week is also the kick-off for the Simis "Caring is Super" Fall Fundraiser! You got information about it on Friday. The money raised during the fundraiser helps fund Simis programs, such as DIGGS, Art Masterpiece, teacher appreciation breakfasts, teacher supplies, school improvements, IB enhancements, and much more! The Fall Fundraiser will run from September 10-28th. During the 3 weeks of fundraising and some fun activities for students. . In math, our class is going to be working on multiplication. Students need to learn and use multiplication facts fluently. To do this we practice these math facts daily. Students should also practice at home with Xtramath.org. This program takes only 10 minutes and reviews the simplest ones first and get progressively harder as it moves along. I strongly recommend using it. If you have any questions please let me know.
Continue reading below to find out what else we will be learning this week.
Learning Outcomes - What is my child learning this week?
- ELA: This week, students will be asking and answering questions before and after reading expository text. The focus question for Wonders Unit 1, Week 5 is, "How do landmarks help us understand our country's story?"
- Comprehension Strategy: Ask & Answer Questions
- Comprehension Skill: Main Idea & Key Details
- Grammar: Simple & compound sentences
- Writing: Personal Narratives
- Math: This week, students will be finishing our chapter on subtraction and will start looking at multiplication. I would love for students to use Xtramath to practice multiplication facts fluently. I will be switching all students over to multiplication.
- Social Studies: Students will look at the Roman people and how they have contributed to our culture. Students will also finish some of their presentations on Greek Myths.
- Science: Students will read about geologists and their work on rocks. Students will observe different rocks and test their hardness.
Homework: Reading packet and spelling due on Friday. Also, My Family Culture interview that students should write on their own. In math, students will continue the Math 20/20 book Lessons 9,10,11, and 12.
Mon, Sept 10- Fall Fundraiser Kick-Off w/ coffee 7:20 a.m.
Tues, Sept 11- Fall Fundraiser Caring Kick-off Assembly
Wed, Sept 12- TCT Early Release 1 p.m.
Thurs, Sept 13- Cocktails and Candidates 6-8 p.m. Off Campus
Friday, Sept 14- SCOOP Newsletter and Dress Like a Superhero Day
Thank you and have a wonderful week.