We are now getting a good routine established in our classroom. We had almost every student complete the reading homework but we are still working on the spelling portion. Sight words were really hard for the majority of the class so you might notice that it was weighted very low. Please make sure your child is doing at least one spelling assignment a night to help on this weeks spelling test. Thank you so much for your support at home in helping your child learn to be responsible for their work. This week, we continue to dive deeper into the 3rd grade content. If you are able, please send your child to school with a Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) & headphones on a daily basis. I recommend having your child keep the device in their backpack for easy, daily use in the classroom. If your child doesn't have a BYOD device, he/she has access to our 18 shared classroom Chromebooks. The Technology Agreement form from the handbook must be signed and returned before your child will be able to participate.
Learning Outcomes -
- Reading: This week, students will be asking and answering questions about narrative nonfiction texts. The focus question for Wonders Unit 1, Week 3 is, "How do people from different cultures contribute to a community?"
- Comprehension Strategy: Ask & Answer Questions
- Comprehension Skill: Sequence
- Grammar: 4 types of sentences/subjects
- Writing: Personal Narrative
- Spelling: Words with Short a
- Math: This week, students will learn more about subtracting numbers through 1,000. Students will be taught ADDING UP TO SUBTRACT (-) for subtraction. Students will also be estimating by rounding numbers to the nearest 10 and nearest 100.
- Social Studies: Students will be discussing and recognizing ways that Ancient Greece contributed to the development of our own civilization, including: the beginnings of democracy, mythology, art, architecture, philosophy, and the Olympics. Students will be inquiring into how ancient architecture influenced modern society, including columns and mosaics.
- Science: Students will learn that rocks are made up of minerals and will learn how geologists identify them.
Homework: Students have the weekly reading and spelling packet plus students will have worksheet from MyMath Chapter 3 on Monday Lesson 2, Tuesday Lesson 3, Wednesday Lesson 4, and Thursday Lesson 5. Friday we will have a quick Check My Progress.
Mon, August 27 - Day 4 - Music /Cool Fitness at Lunch
Tues, August 28 - Day 5 - PE (Wear tennis shoes) and Art
Wed, August 29 - Day 6 - Spanish. TCT 1 p.m. release (Return Library books) /Cool Fitness at Lunch
Thurs, August 30 - Day 1 - Music and Library, DIGGS (8:30-9:00)
Fri, August 31 - Day 2 - PE (Wear tennis shoes) and Art. SCOOP Newsletter
Mon, September 3 - Labor Day NO SCHOOL